Made with butter and cream, this is an unhealthy killer on your waistline. The good news is that this dal, also known as “Kaali Dal” or “Maa Ki Dal” – made without the makhan or butter tastes just as good. without the butter or the cream — honest, no exaggeration.
· 1 cup whole black urad dal
· 1/4 cup Bengal gram
· 1/2 cup rajma
· 1 tsp cumin seeds
· 1-2 tsp green chillies, sliced thinly
· 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
· 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
· 1 tsp cardamom powder
· 1 tsp dried Kasuri Methi powder
· 2 tsp of vegetable oil
· 1 tsp of butter
· 2-3 cloves
· 2″ cinnamon stick
· 1 Bay leaf
· 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
· 1 cup tomato puree
· 1 milk
· Salt to taste and cilantro to garnish
1. Soak the dal and rajma beans overnight.
2. Rinse them well in cold water. Cook them in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles. If you leave it on longer it is ok — it will not ruin the dish. Mash with potato masher when cooled.
3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, add 1 tsp oil along with cloves, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, cumin-coriander powder, bay leaf, ginger-garlic paste, and chillies. Add the tomato puree, close the lid and cook for 5 min until the raw tomato smell leaves. Add dal, reduce the heat to simmer, add salt, then close the lid and slow cook for 35-40 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add the kasuri methi powder along with cardamom powder, stir and then add milk and butter for flavour.
Cook for 5 more minutes and garnish with dhania leaves. Serve with roti, salad and dahi.