Here is my recipe adapted from several websites, friends, and trial and error.
1 cup Toor Dal
½ cup Moong Dal
¾ cup Red Masoor dal
2 large onions, finely chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced
1 cup Red Pumpkin, diced
1 cup Fenugreek Leaves, finely chopped
1 cup chopped Pudina
1 cup chopped coriander leaves
¼ tsp. Garlic paste
¼ tsp. Ginger paste
½ tsp. Turmeric Powder
½ tsp Red Chili Powder
2 green chillies chopped
1 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
Salt to taste
Mint for garnishing
1. Wash all the dals and pressure cook with turmeric powder, salt, potatoes, red pumpkin for 3 whistles.
2. Mash to a rather fine consistency (no whole vegetable should be evident).
3. In a kadhai heat 1 tsp oil and add pudina, methi and coriander. Sautee for 2 minutes and take through the mixer when cooled.
4. Heal 1 tbsp oil and chopped onion, ginger, garlic, and bay leaf, and dhansak masala.
5. Stir till oil separates from the masala.
6. Cook till the mixture becomes pulpy.
7. Cook chicken in pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
8. Add chilli as required. Now add the dal mixture and methi mixture and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes till gravy thickens. Garnish with mint and serve hot with Brown Rice.