Oatmeal Porridge, Oatmeal Upma, Low-Fat Oatmeal Cookies with Raisins
Oatmeal, better known as breakfast porridge, is currently in the news touted as the ideal health food because of its high soluble content. It has come a long way, it was only 30 years ago when oats were mainly used as horse and cattle fodder and was considered poor man’s food.Oatmeal comes from the oat grain. Oats gain part of their distinctive flavor from the roasting process that they undergo after being harvested and cleaned. Although hulled, this process does not strip away their bran and their germ allowing them to retain a concentrated source of their fiber and nutrients. Different types of processing are then used to produce the various types of oat products, which are generally used to make breakfast cereals and baked goods. Oat groats, oat bran, oat flour, steel cut oats, old-fashioned oats, quick-cooking oats which processed like old-fashioned oats, except they are cut finely before rolling. This cuts the cooking time and therefore they are cook quickly.
To make the traditional breakfast porridge mix ½ cup of oats to ½ cup of milk. Add fresh and dry fruits, and nuts such as almonds and walnuts of your choice. If desired, add molasses or honey for sweetness. Cover in a microwaveable dish and microwave on high for one minute.In addition to morning cereal, check these delicious recipes.Oats Upma
- 1 cup oats, roasted and ground fine in the mixer
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp sugar or to taste.
- 2-3 green chillies
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tbs fresh coconut
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Roast the oats on a low flame. Close flame before it changes colour.
- Heat ghee and add mustard.
- When mustard starts popping add urad dal.
- When the urad dal turns slightly brownish, add curry leaves.
- Add red chillies and green chillies.
- Now add oats and fry on a low flame for around 5-6 minutes. Add salt and sugar, mix well.
- In a separate bowl heat 2 cups of water. When it starts boiling, transfer it to the rava mixture. Cover and cook till all water is absorbed.
- Mix well. Add coconut and serve hotServes : 2
Low-Fat Oatmeal Cookies with Raisins
- 1/2 cup white flour
- ½ cup whole wheat
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 190C. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add cinnamon and raisins. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and the sugars.
- Beat in the eggs, the vanilla extract.
- Working by hand, stir in the flour mixture and the oats until just combined and no streaks of flour remain.
- Add raisins just before the batter comes together.
- Drop tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 9-12 min at 190C. Cookies will be light brown at the edges.
- Let cool on sheet for 3 or 4 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Makes 2 dozen cookies.