Dal Makhani – Healthy and Satisfying
Made with butter and cream, this is an unhealthy killer on your waistline. The good news is that this dal, also known as “Kaali Dal” or “Maa Ki Dal” – made without the makhan or butter tastes just as good. without the butter or the cream — honest, no exaggeration.
· 1 cup whole black urad dal
· 1/4 cup Bengal gram
· 1/2 cup rajma
· 1 tsp cumin seeds
· 1-2 tsp green chillies, sliced thinly
· 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
· 1 tsp cumin-coriander powder
· 1 tsp cardamom powder
· 1 tsp dried Kasuri Methi powder
· 2 tsp of vegetable oil
· 1 tsp of butter
· 2-3 cloves
· 2″ cinnamon stick
· 1 Bay leaf
· 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
· 1 cup tomato puree
· 1 milk
· Salt to taste and cilantro to garnish
1. Soak the dal and rajma beans overnight.
2. Rinse them well in cold water. Cook them in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles. If you leave it on longer it is ok — it will not ruin the dish. Mash with potato masher when cooled.
3. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, add 1 tsp oil along with cloves, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, cumin-coriander powder, bay leaf, ginger-garlic paste, and chillies. Add the tomato puree, close the lid and cook for 5 min until the raw tomato smell leaves. Add dal, reduce the heat to simmer, add salt, then close the lid and slow cook for 35-40 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add the kasuri methi powder along with cardamom powder, stir and then add milk and butter for flavour.
Cook for 5 more minutes and garnish with dhania leaves. Serve with roti, salad and dahi.