- 170 grams of lean ground chicken
- 3/4cup chopped onion
- 3/4cup shredded carrot
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 800 grams of thickened tomato puree, no salt added
- 2tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 3/4teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6dried lasagna noodles (170 grams)
- 1 1/2cups light ricotta cheese or low fat paneer, crumbled
- 1egg white, lightly beaten
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 2tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. For sauce: In a medium saucepan, cook meat, onion, carrot, and garlic until meat is brown and vegetables are tender.
2. Stir in the tomato sauce, dried basil (if using), dried oregano (if using), fennel seeds, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in fresh basil and fresh oregano, if using.
3. Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, except omit the cooking oil and salt. Drain well. For ricotta or paneer mixture: In a small bowl, stir together ricotta cheese/paneer and egg white.
4. Lightly coat a 2-quart square baking dish or 1-1/2-quart au gratin dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place two of the cooked lasagna noodles in the prepared baking dish, trimming noodles to fit if necessary. Spread with one-third of the ricotta mixture. Top with one-third of the sauce and one-third of the mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice.
5. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 8 servings.
This recipe was adapted from diabeticlivingonline.com.